Free Web Counter
cheap computer system

Help Mr. Ramsay...

It was time. Half a million honey buns, packs of instant noodles and peanut butter-jelly sandwiches later, my taste buds had given up and my stomach was threatening to quit. I sat there, my eyes switching between the clock and the recipe book, knowing that it was only a matter of time till the grumbling down below started. That recipe book was a parting gift from a hopeless mother, and by now it had gathered as much dust as a book of chemistry in a childrens' museum.

The kitchen till then was more of a room meant more for storage than for cooking. Something that had made it so alien a place, that when a friend came around asking for salt, I promptly handed him a jar of sugar. Which, by the way, he promptly used for his "spicy" fried rice recipe. We still argue about who is the greater genius between us. So it was only a matter of time then, till I decided to venture into it for what the room was meant for. Trouble is, I did not have a good feeling about it. That feeling you get when the thought of knowing something is going to go wrong is bashing up the thought of hoping it won't.

What followed was an endless discussion with the roommate about what is make-able. The list was not too long after we narrowed down our options, mostly on the basis of not being able to identify the ingredients.

"Ofcourse!" we sighed in unison as the book opened up to a recipe of the potato curry, probably the easiest thing there is to make. There we were, two fully grown guys, massive on appetite..clueless about cooking and hungry as if we hadn't had so much as a snack bar for years, all ready for battle. And battle we did. Jars flying off the shelf, clouds of powdered spices and vegetables being cut as if maniacs are having a go at them. At the end of it all, we stood in a place that seemed ravaged by a small storm. And what we had on the stove was nothing that remotely resembled potato curry.

"Umm..Smells nice!? We can call it tomato curry with potatoes and onions?".A trying-to-be cheerful me.

"OR! We can call it it tomato-curry-with-potatoes-and-onions-only-you-will-have!" shot back by friend before stomping off to his room. I could hear him a tear open a honey bun pack and chomp on it furiously. His face was that of a desperate man who had thought he found an oasis in a desert, but only learnt later that it was a mirage..

So as I enjoyed that dinner in sweet solace, I had one thing firmly decided in mind: Learn how to cook and be good at it. And although it was far from smooth sailing, full of more solitary dinners and new not-so-perfect "inventions", I can now safely say that I am not half as bad a cook that I was then. I can't say it is my favourite thing but I do enjoy it at times. After I moved and got a job, I actually started watching that food channel they have on telly. I can't imagine being a part of those cook-master-in-your-face-shouting shows though. A year ago, I would have probably faced his wrath by being tied to a rotating overhead fan.

So anyway, what starts like a nightmare doesn't always end like one. All's well that ends well isn't it? Experimenting in the kitchen has taken a whole new meaning now. It does not mean "Try cooking". Rather, it means "Try cooking something differently".
And when you have that odd bad day in the office,a pack of instant noodles awaits!

12 comments:

hehehe ! =D lol @ the potato curry! =D oops i mean the tomato curry with potatoes and onions! :D

yeah its always good to learn how to cook. This post made me laugh at myself because I barely know how to cook. :| and my mom never trusts me in the kitchen! =)

but nice post! :D

July 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

LOL....
Good...I am so glad...you are learning...you can cook when you come to visit me :D

July 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

Aww how adorable is that. Two grown men attempting to cook. :P I love everything about experimentation (in the kitchen, lol). It's so much fun to try out new things, sure there'll be some disasters along the way, but it makes the learning worth it.

At least, you never set off the fire alarm on-campus during a Red Sox-Yankee baseball game while trying to bake cookies. Yup. That was me and my friend. Oh we never heard the end of that for a whole semester, lol. Everyone was ready to smash their TVs on our heads for making them miss a good chunk of the game. In return, we offered them burnt cookies. :P

July 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Ha haa....I think its time I visited Memphis to try your cooking and then decide how true your claim is ;-). Glad you din't mention the friend's name who tried sugar instead of salt :P

July 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

I am proud of your effort to try and branch out into the cooking world. I too am not the best cook. In fact I was trying to make stirfry tonight and it tasted like water for the most part. I bet that sugar rice concoction tasted awesome!

July 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

LOL!

I laughed all the way till the end of the post!!!

Your friend actually used sugar for fried rice?! HAHAHAHA. It doesn't get worse than that my friend. :P

Absolutely hilarious!

July 14, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

When do I get to taste these newly developed culinary skills?

July 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

I meant the outcome of these newly developed culinary skills :)

July 15, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

I love it... I can just see you boys in the kitchen trying to create a beautiful feast! Too cute!

I love your fall back foods... tried and true to many I'm sure. Bravo to you for taking the challenge and becoming more and expecting better of yourself! :)

August 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

Nice post.

August 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Boy have I been ignoring this space!

@Esther -- Thanks..so you are like me three years ago..a similar cooking experience awaits you!

@Shruti -- sure..but I know someone else cooks some real good prawn curry! I will try that first.

@Archana -- sin..complete sin! too bad it was not India..and an Ind - Pak cricket game on..you wouldn't have got all that unnecessary attention!

@Kaushik -- I THINK it sounded somewhat like your name!

@S -- WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?

@Miss M -- Thanks!Glad you liked it.

@Neha -- Trips by friends just to taste my culinary skills still make me nervous!

@Push -- Thanks..Hope the tea wasn't half as bad as my usual tea. I suck at that btw.I have thrown so much of it away that I bet half of Memphis' sewers are full of my tea.

@Amanda -- Thanks!..Getting better was more out of necessity than choice..but oh well..all's well that ends well..

@Gigi -- mucho gracias senora!

September 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

nicely written
by the way best of luck for ur cooking

October 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds